Missing captain rescued after spending nearly three days adrift in freezing sea – World News

0 44

Stricken skipper Erhan Seckal was found frantically waving his arms after falling overboard off the coast of Bali, Indonesia and says he can’t remember how it happened

Erhan Seckal, 39, suddenly vanished and staff searched for hours for the ship’s captain

A captain who disappeared mid-voyage was rescued after spending nearly three days adrift at sea when he fell from his ship.

Erhan Seckal, 39, was guiding the vessel Quorn earlier this month after it departed from an Australian port towards Vietnam.

He suddenly vanished and his stunned crew couldn’t find him anywhere, hunting high and low for hours with the ship off the coast of Bali, Indonesia.

The Turkish seaman had fallen overboard while in rough waters and a huge rescue mission was launched on May 2.

Indonesian service teams searched the area 30 miles north of Bali, but found no sign of the captain so the bulk carrier was forced to resume its trip without him.

He had fallen overboard – but had no memory of how he ended up in the ocean



However, 66 hours later, local fisherman Gede Budiasa spotted the skipper and he was miraculously alive, frantically waving for help while floating on a buoy near Kubutambahan village in the Buleleng Regency.

The locals hauled him onto shore and rushed him to a nearby medical centre as he was severely dehydrated and exhausted.

Seckal said he did not remember how he fell overboard, saying he had been checking the ship’s stern before waking up to find himself stranded in the ocean.

Jamaruli Manihuruk, Head of the Regional Office of the Ministry of Law and Human Rights in Bali, said: “The person concerned was stranded on the beach of Kubuaddan Village, Kubuaddan District, Buleleng Regency, Bali.

He was discovered clinging to a buoy almost three days later



“After the examination and medical treatment, the foreigner was taken to the Immigration office for questioning.”

The Turkish man was nursed back to health, but was ordered deported to Istanbul once recovered.

Singaraja Immigration Office Head Nanag Mustofa said: “He was sent home because he technically entered Indonesian territory without proper documents or stay permits.”

The captain left for Istanbul on the evening of May 10.

The Turkish Embassy has expressed its gratitude to local authorities for rescuing him, and for arranging for his flight home.

Read More

Read More


Read original article here

Denial of responsibility! Global Circulate is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – [email protected]. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Leave a comment
Ads Blocker Image Powered by Code Help Pro

Ads Blocker Detected!!!

We have detected that you are using extensions to block ads. Please support us by disabling these ads blocker.