Shaving is an important part of the male grooming routine. With that being said, shaving comes with cuts, nicks, and ingrown hairs. Luckily, there is a way to prevent all the annoying problems with the right natural shaving products. Pre-shave oil is an amazing product that protects your skin from razor blades and gives you a smooth, flawless shave.
What is Pre-Shave Oil?
First things first, it is different from beard oil/shave oil. Pre-shave oil is a product that is applied prior to starting the shaving process. It is not a replacement for a shaving cream/gel but is used before it. Now that’s out of the way, let’s explore some of the benefits of pre-shave oil.
Some Benefits and How does Pre-shave Oil Work
Here are the top uses and benefits of Pre Shave oil:
● An Amazing Moisturizer
Shaving has the potential to dry out your skin. Pre-shave oil acts as an amazing moisturizer that prevents your skin from drying out. A high-quality organic product that hydrates your skin from within while preparing it for the shaving procedure. The oil also softens the hair follicles which in turn gives you a smooth and close shave.
● As a Lubricant
It is important to remember that a pre-shave oil shouldn’t replace your shaving cream but must be used beneath it. A pre-shave gel sits comfortably underneath the shaving cream/gel to provide your skin with good lubrication and a smooth razor glide. Forget those random cuts every time you shave.
● As a Preventative Measure against Razor Burns
Do you know what the most annoying aspect of shaving is? Of course, you do; ingrown hairs and deadly razor burns. They not only hurt but can give you a rough shave. A pre-shave oil preps up your skin properly and prevents irritation while slowly getting rid of all the ingrown hair.
● As a Skin Protector
The shaving damage done to your skin is caused by a lack of moisture and lubrication. Pre-shave oil tackles this problem effectively and also softens the hair. It protects your skin from the harsh razor blades while still helping you achieve a close shave.
The Right Way to Use a Pre Shave Oil
Here are the few points that will help you use a pre-shave oil in the right way:
- Step one involves cleaning your face properly. You can use a face wash or cleanser of your choice.
- Make sure that your hands are clean.
- Take some of the oil in the palms and rub them together.
- Massage the oil into the beard and skin. Make sure that it is evenly distributed.
- Let the oil sit on your skin for a minute or two.
- Apply a shaving gel/cream on top of the oil.
- Use a razor to get rid of excess hair and you will have the smoothest shave ever.
Product Recommendations – Best Pre-Shave Oils
Now that you know the importance and benefits of using a pre-shave oil, it is important to choose a good quality product. Here are a few products I love:
Unscented Pre Shave Oil by The Henna Guys
If you are someone with extremely sensitive skin and are allergic to scents, you can get your hands on the unscented best pre-shave oil by The Henna Guys. It is a wonderful product that is packed with the goodness of argan, jojoba, avocado, marula, and grapeseed oil. It can be used by both men and women. Fun fact, you can also use it as a post-shave moisturizer because we are all about multipurpose usage.
Lemongrass & Eucalyptus Oil by The Henna Guys
If you are a fan of aromatherapy, this is a miracle oil. The soothing scent of eucalyptus and lemongrass has amazing calming benefits and is also suitable for people with sensitive skin. It is a very thin oil and works with people of all skin types. This particular pre-shave oil is free from all sorts of nasty chemicals and contains natural ingredients that are good for your skin.
Pre Shave Oil by The Henna Guys- Sandalwood
If you are a fan of sandalwood, you will love this one. Sandalwood has been used for centuries for its amazing skin-beautifying elements. It is especially useful for people with dry skin types. Make sure to top it off with a good quality shaving cream and you will surely see a difference in your face.
Geranium & Lavender Oil by the Henna Guys
Again, a completely organic and vegan product that will give you a non-irritant and smooth shave. It works with all types of razors and people with all skin types especially the ones with extremely sensitive skin. Lavender is known for its calming and soothing properties and this particular pre-shaving will turn your daily shave into a spa-like experience.
Some Things to Remember About Pre-Shave Oil
Here are a few things to be mindful of when jumping on the pre-shave oil bandwagon:
- It is not a replacement for shaving cream or gel. It is part of the skin prep and shaving cream/gel must be used on top of the oil.
- Pre-shave oils are a unisex product and can be used by both men and women.
- You can apply this oil on any part of the body; face, legs, arms, etc.
- The quality of the shaving cream/gel is as important as the pre-shave oil if you wish to achieve the desired results.
- Make sure that the oil you are using is free from all the nasty chemicals as you are applying it directly over your skin.
- It is important to do a patch test to ensure you are not allergic to any sort of oils used in the product (yes, it is important even if you are using organic products).
- You can apply pre-shave oils as a moisturizer after shaving if your skin feels tight and dry.
- Pre-shave oil is suitable for people with all skin types including sensitive skin.
I hope you found this post helpful. If you have any queries, leave them down in the comments section below and I will get back to you.